Monday, November 16, 2009

Day 30: Shopping Sales

Day 30: Shopping Sales

A couple of weeks ago I was at my local A&P Grocery Store and noticed the lady in front of me saved $30!

If you’re like my groceries add up, especially when trying to eat healthy. Most weeks I save about five dollars using coupons or my A&P card. This week I wanted to see if I could save more.

On Friday I went to http://www.apfreshonline.com/default.asp and looked thru the circular listing sale items. I made my list and planned out my weekly recipes around these items. I found it hard to weed thru the items and only pick the ones I knew we would eat. As Chip says “don’t buy it if we don’t need it”.

My weekly menu is as follows:

Monday – Steak with Asparagus. Both items were on sale and I wouldn’t normally cook steak. I found a Weight Watchers recipe for the steak and it’s only 6 points per serving

Tuesday – Salad topped with Chicken. The pre-made salad in a bag was 2 for 5 and the chicken was on sale. I did splurge on some additional items like tomato and avocado.

Wednesday – Crab Cakes with salad. The pre-made crab cakes were on sale for $3.99 each and I’ll use the second bag of salad.

Thursday – Eggs. These weren’t on sale.

I was so proud of myself. Then we checked out. I only saved $5!

I have to admit that I was disappointed my planning didn’t yield more cash-back but in the end I realized that by shopping the sale items I was able to branch out what I would eat for dinner. Normally I would never buy steak or crab cakes but by reading the weekly circular I was given new ideas.

1 comment: